Today is your birthday. You are now 5 years old. Five years. Wow. You are now a big girl.
The first day I met you in that hotel lobby in China I never could have imagined:
- How extraordinarily beautiful you would be. You were a cute baby, but you are a truly beautiful young lady.
- How funny you would be. You are clever, witty, silly, nutty. Every day you make me laugh.
- What a great big sister you are to Haven. I've rarely seen siblings as close as you two are. I hope that is something that never changes.
- That you would have 3 brothers and 2 sisters. You filled me with so much love that I never knew was in me. You allowed me to be the mother I am to you and all your siblings.
- How being your mother would make me cry more, laugh more, love more than anyone deserves to. You have made me a better person. You have made me more of all the things I should have been all along.
- Your favorite color is blue, not pink like all the other girls.
- You love all things about nature and you pick flowers for me every chance you get.
- You pretend to be a horse and gallop around the living room. It makes Manny and JoJo let out those wonderful baby belly laughs.
- Listening to you and Haven sing songs and say prayers from the back of the van.
- That you only want to wear dresses. Every day. Not skirts, dresses!
- That you like to wear you hair short like Mommy and Haven.
- Every night when I go to sleep you are snuggled up against me. I know lots of people think its crazy, but I know that when your little heart heals and you finally feel safe enough, you'll want to sleep in your own room. Until that time comes I will wrap my arms around you and do anything it takes to protect your heart from the scary dreams that come with the darkness. You will never be alone.